Divorce settlements can be complex, drawn-out, and emotionally overwhelming; however, they can also be financially draining. So when it comes to celebrity couples separating, the stakes are substantially much higher, especially if there is no prenup involved.
The following are ten of the most expensive celebrity divorces:
- Rupert and Anna Murdoch ($1.7 billion divorce settlement) – After 32 years of marriage, the couple divorced in 1999. Of the $1.7 billion in assets Rupert gave to Anna, $110 million was in cash. After the divorce, Rupert married 30-year-old Wendi Deng just 17 days after the divorce. Murdoch filed for divorce from Deng in June 2013.
- Mel and Robyn Gibson ($425 million divorce settlement) – The couple evenly divided Mel’s $850 million net worth. In the 31 years they were married, the couple has seven children together. After discovering that Mel had fathered a child with Oksana Grigorieva, Robyn filed for divorce in 2009.
- Robert and Sheila Johnson ($400 million) – Robert and Sheila’s wealth was built together over the course of 33 years at Robert’s company, BET, which he founded in 1980. BET sold to Viacom for $3 billion. Sheila went on to marry the judge who presided over their divorce after it concluded.
- Michael and Juanita Jordan ($168 million) – Married in 1989, the couple were together for 17 years and have three children together. Although Juanita filed for divorce in 2002, the couple attempted to work things out. By the end of 2016, the pair decided to finalize the divorce.
- Neil Diamond and Marcia Murphey ($150 million) – After being married for 25 years, the pair called it quits in 1994. Neil’s estate of $300 million was divided up with Marcia receiving half.
- Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren ($110 million) – After Tiger admitted to multiple affairs and crashing his Escalade into the tree outside his Florida home in 2009, Elin filed for divorce in 2010 after being married with the golf star for six years. They have two children together.
- Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving ($100 million) – Married in 1989, the couple were together for four years. A California judge refused to recognize their prenuptial agreement, which was created on a napkin.
- Harrison Ford and Melissa Mathison (between $85 and $118 million) – After meeting on the set of Apocalypse Now in 1979, the pair were married for 17 years. After separating in 2000, they divorced three years later since they didn’t have a prenup.
- Madonna and Guy Ritchie (between $76 million and $92 million) – The singer and movie director split after eight years together. They got married in 2008.
- Kevin Costner and Cindy Silva ($80 million) – The couple met while both were attending Cal State Fullerton (CSF) in 1975 and married two and half years later. After 16 years of marriage, they divorced in 1994.
As you can see, divorce settlements involving celebrity couples or couples with large financial assets can be immensely expensive. Since the sum of money that needs to be divided is so enormous, the amount can be millions—or even billions—of dollars.