Child Support Modification

Child Support Modification in New York

Contact a Knowledgeable Dutchess County Family Law Attorney

When a child is placed in the custody of one parent, the non-custodial parent is oftentimes required to make regular child support payments to the custodial parent to help cover the costs of raising the child. While child support orders are enforceable by law, their terms can sometimes be changed after the fact to accommodate for changes in circumstances. If you are a custodial or non-custodial parent pursuing a modification to your existing child support order, a top-rated Dutchess County family lawyer from the Law Office of Dennis R. Vetrano, Jr., LLC can represent your interests in court and vastly improve your chances of securing the results you need.

Countless clients have trusted our firm for the following reasons:

  • 2015 Avvo Clients’ Choice Award
  • 75+ combined years of dedicated legal experience
  • Serving Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Ulster & Westchester Counties

Call (845) 605-4330 or send us an email today to get started.

When Can a Child Support Order Be Modified?

An update or modification to a child support order can be requested by both parents for a number of different reasons. A parent requesting a modification must file a petition with the court and provide a valid reason for the request. Oftentimes, the courts require the parents be able to show a “substantial change in circumstances.” While this phrase is slightly ambiguous, a number of different scenarios have been known to satisfy this requirement.

A recalculation of child support can be requested for any of the following reasons:

  • A change in the child’s medical needs
  • A parent’s illness or disability
  • Unanticipated and unintentional loss of employment
  • A decrease in a paying parent’s income by at least 15%
  • A considerable increase in either parent’s income
  • Three years have passed since the creation of the order

It is imperative to note that any changes in child support must be approved by the courts in order to be legal. If parents verbally agree with each other to lower child support payments without consulting with the courts, the paying spouse will be held liable for any differences between payments and those established in the court-ordered arrangement. Modifications take effect when a parent files a petition, rather than when a change in circumstances takes place.

Compassionate Family Law Advocacy in Dutchess County

At the Law Office of Dennis R. Vetrano, Jr., LLC, our child support lawyers know how important a fair support order can be to ensure both your child’s well-being and your financial stability. We represent parents on both sides and can use our vast legal knowledge to maximize your chances of having your modification approved. Let us put our experience and skills to work for you so you can approach your modification request with peace of mind.

Schedule your case evaluation today to review your legal options.


Read What Past Clients Had to Say

    “The outcome of the case was perfect and the case settled without any issues. I had no chance to stress!” - Rosa Gonzalez
    “Very professional, yet compassionate.” - Rebecca T.
  • Our Team Knows How to Negotiate Aggressively for Clients
  • Our Attorneys Have Substantial Trial Experience
  • Our Firm Treats Every Client With the Respect They Deserve
  • Our Team Has the Knowledge, Experience, and Resources to Successfully Try a Case
  • We have the Ability to Know Which Cases Need to Be Tried and Which Cases Can Be Settled
  • We Focus on Compassion, Communication & Effectiveness
Our firm can help

Why choose us?


Contact Our Firm

Ready to get started? Fill out the form below, or if you prefer,
 give us a call at (845) 605-4330. Someone from our office will get back to you shortly.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy