Dutchess County Criminal Defense Lawyers – (845) 605-4330
New York considers any sort of injury inflicted upon someone else without “legal justification” to be the crime of assault. Depending on the harm dealt to the assault victim and a few other contributing factors, assault can constitute either a high level misdemeanor or a felony. In any situation, the consequences upon conviction can include lengthy incarceration, high fines, and a variety of other potential legal penalties.
If you are accused of assault, you need to be aware that investigators and prosecutors are probably already working in conjunction to build a strong case against you. Do not hand them such a useful time advantage! Take action yourself by getting the Law Office of Dennis R. Vetrano, Jr., LLC and our Dutchess County criminal defense attorneys as your legal representatives for in and out of court.
Accolades and accomplishments of our law firm include:
- Decades of combined legal experience
- Former prosecutors on our team
- History of happy client testimonials
Start your assault defense case today by scheduling a free consultation now.
Factors That Escalate Assault Charges
An assault charge can escalate to a felony or a higher class felony if:
- Victim is seriously injured: The base of most assault charges depends on how the victim was injured in the alleged attack. Suffering a personal injury is not the same as suffering a “serious physical injury” in the definitions of New York law. A serious injury is any harm that did or could feasibly cause death, disfigurement, sensory loss, or organ damage.
- Suspect acts intentionally: The intent of the suspect plays a key role in deciding the assault charge. Someone who hurts another person severely due to their recklessness or carelessness might not be charged with assault at all. To defeat your charges, it might be useful to consider how you can show the judge or jury you had no intent to hurt the apparent victim.
- Deadly weapon is used: Attempting to hurt someone with bare hands is not the same thing as trying to cause harm with a dangerous or deadly weapon. The introduction of a firearm, knife, blunt instrument, or toxic chemical can escalate an assault charge to assault with a deadly weapon.
Are any of these aforementioned situations pertinent to your arrest and assault charges? You might be facing higher charges than you first anticipated. Get the help of a violent crimes defense lawyer on your side right away.
You Deserve Trusted & Experienced Defense Counsel
For a felony assault charge, you could be incarcerated in a state prison for up to 25 years! With so much on the line, you cannot afford to gamble your future on an inexperienced or impersonal counselor or law firm. Choose our Dutchess County criminal defense lawyers and rest soundly in knowing an entire team has your back. Our track record for success sets us apart and our white-glove service for each client brings people through our doors again and again.
Contact our firm by calling (845) 605-4330 for more information.
Our Team Knows How to Negotiate Aggressively for Clients
Our Attorneys Have Substantial Trial Experience
Our Firm Treats Every Client With the Respect They Deserve
Our Team Has the Knowledge, Experience, and Resources to Successfully Try a Case
We have the Ability to Know Which Cases Need to Be Tried and Which Cases Can Be Settled
We Focus on Compassion, Communication & Effectiveness